Sunday, January 11, 2015

Parallel Lives


Hello everyone!  For this entry, I have asked Mommy to be our guest blogger.  She has written a piece that I thought might interest all of you.  I have also included a link* to a 4 minute video that Daddy made called "Everything Happens for a Reason."  I hope you enjoy.  I'll be back next time.
Love,
Boomer the Mellow Yellow Lab

Recently in the news, I heard about a woman named Amy Purdy, a paralympic bronze medallist and contestant on “Dancing with the Stars.”  At the age of 19, she had meningitis, which caused the loss of her legs below the knee and ultimately a kidney transplant 2 years later.

I can’t help but wonder if 19 isn’t a mysterious age where cataclysmic events occur?  My life somewhat parallels that of Amy.  Instead of losing my legs, I lost my eyes.  I too had meningitis, but mine triggered Type I (juvenile) diabetes.  Like Purdy, my life changed dramatically at 19, when I lost my sight after a 5-month struggle.  At 31 I had my first kidney transplant.  I also had a pancreas transplant at 39, and another kidney transplant at 45.  Amidst all of the transplants, other health issues intruded.

Unfortunately, I am still trying to earn my “medal” and haven’t been on DWTS (although I’d love it!)  I am trying to stand “On My Own Two Feet” (title of Amy's book) by also being an author.  I pen the children’s series, “Rudy’s Little World” and currently have 6 published books about a variety of atypical subjects.  I also speak to audiences of all ages and sizes, sharing my story and proving you can overcome challenges! Again, like Amy Purdy, I don’t let challenges keep me from obtaining my goals.  I also believe everything happens for a reason.

*Everything Happens for a Reason link

No comments:

Post a Comment